Monday, August 30, 2010

HOW I CAME TO BE KNOWN AS THE WILD N' CRAZY GRANDMA!

Let me assure you!  I did not place this label upon myself.  In this culture of super heroes, I would desire to present a more sophisticated image for all the world to view...a classy grandmother who has it altogether, cooks dozens of chocolate chip, peanut butter and decorated sugar cookies for the grandchildren and freezes them so they never suffer hunger!  A grandmother dressed to kill, wearing Julia Roberts' Lancome make-up "just perfect," and, of course, a spotless house with squeaky clean floors and ironed pillow cases and sheets in the linen closet folded geometrically at 90 degree angles!  NOT!!

The story of the wild n' crazy grandma originated at Taco Bells.  Our oldest granddaughter, Ashlan (8 years old at the time), had just flown in from Phoenix, Arizona for a week with grandma and grandpa.  We had just picked her up at the airport, and the poor child had not eaten for over two hours.  After a few deluxe tacos, she blurts out for the whole restaurant to hear, "You know, gramma, you're no ordinary grandma!  I told the kids at school that you're my wild and crazy grandma!" at which point she jumps up on the table, flings an "air" guitar around her scrawny neck and starts performing like Kiss's lead guitarist, Gene Simmons!

The destiny was sealed.  From that point in my history, the title stuck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment