Wednesday, December 22, 2010

MY FAVORITE CHRISTMAS GIFT and THE BEST PRESENTS FOR MY DOZEN

This last weekend after Fin's dance recital (ohhhhh, the drama....it was tooooo cute!!!), Lauren and Carter wanted to come up to Grandma and Grandpa's house.  We baked cookies, Grandpa and Carter played football, and then we ate our homemade soup - YUMMY!  Soon it was time to take them back to Matt and Carey's.  I had cleaning up to do, so Bill transported them back home.  As I was by the backdoor, which is in our laundry room, I noticed something on my blackboard.  You know, the "thing" that saves my life.  I put my grocery lists, my medicine refills, my "do not forget" lists....you get the idea.  Anyway, little did I realize my favorite Christmas gift was awaiting me:

                            LAUREN'S BEST GIFT TO ME!



    THE BEST PRESENTS FOR MY DOZEN GRANDKIDS

  • Yesterday's blog brought up JOY, PEACE, and LOVE.  How does one transmit these qualities?  One thing I've learned, it is not by lecturing.  It is more by osmosis.  Providing a joyful environment when they come to grandparents' homes is a starter.  Am I joyful in my spirit?  Can I put my worries and fears in the hands of God so I have a free spirit?  Do I speak in a voice that is peaceful -- not yelling, using cutting sarcasm, or fighting with my husband?  Do I talk negatively about other people in front of my grandchildren?  Those kinds of considerations are important in transmitting joy, peace and love.
  • Do I help them to see the world from above, not below?  By this, I mean do we help them see our circumstances from God's perspective?  Do we discuss the good and bad parts of the world to our kids in a way that they understand the reality of our world without sensationalizing, causing fear and insecurity?
  • I want to pass down a vibrant faith in my grandchildren.  But in doing so, there are also challenges.  We live in a diverse culture.  Living the Christian faith, as the Bible clearly reveals, is a life that can include suffering.  I desire that they remain strong.




  • What we give our grandchildren is not taught in a sit-down, one-time lesson.  It is continuous, day by day.  That is hard work.  We need consistency.  I remember when I was raising my brood, that was, indeed the most difiicult task.  Consistency gives a bedrock of security to our kids like a solid rock on which to rest!  An art piece in our home truly says it all:


This interesting guy is throwing out seeds to the ground, and you can see the flowers that are growing around his feet.  The sack he is holding in his right arm has a very important message:


Grandmas, we have a very important task ahead of us in 2011.  We need to nurture our kids one day at a time!  God bless!

(P.S.  This piece by artist Betsy Peterson was entered into an art exhibit at Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa.  The exhibit highlighted children's resiliency.)




                      

No comments:

Post a Comment