Saturday, May 21, 2011

KEEPING PEACE AMONG FAMILY AND FRIENDS

A-hiking I will go, a-hiking I will go, hi-ho-the derry-o, a-hiking I will go  (and as my grandkids add) CHA-CHA-CHA!!!


Once again, I'm in the most beautiful desert in the universe - the Sonoran Desert.  Have I ever told you "I LOVE THE DESERT?????" 

This morning my husband and I were tackling the Overton Trail at Cave Creek.  This is one of our favorite trails and this warm morning we walked silently in formation as the rhythm of life enveloped us in its rapturous tune.  I love to listen when I'm hiking.  I am enchanted with the birds' songs, near and distant, the marching of our boots hitting the rocky terrain, and the rhythmic breathing patterns issuing from my mouth, and the buzzing, albeit irritating, frenzy of the gnats and bees around our heads.

The few words we did speak, however, were responding to the cacophony of conflicts among our own flesh and blood and outside-the-family friendships.  Below is the wild 'n crazy grandma's quickie version on the best way to handle relationship tensions within our families:

1.  When a child comes to either parent with a complaint of any kind about a brother or sister, refuse to listen.
2.  Tell that child to go directly to that sibling and confront the problem between the two of them.
3.  A husband or a wife need not burden their spouse with the details of the conflict.  This only upsets the whole family dynamic needlessly.
4.  If, after the two children attempt to tackle their differences and no resolution is reached, then AT THIS POINT bring in a third party such as a pastor or counselor.  This third person will hopefully be wise enough to know if and when the family should be brought into the situation.

Someone else first came up with the previous idea.  You can read about it in Matthew 18:15-17.

I'm just a little 'ole gramma, but I've been too invested in the quarreling and issues between my kids.  This affects my mood, my time with the grandchildren, and holding grudges against out-laws and in-laws, most of the time unfairly.

Just a thought.....

1 comment:

  1. Very wise advice! I've been fortunate to have avoided this type of situation. My two daughters are extremely close and supportive of each other, and my son is more removed but seldom critical. As for the in-laws, they know that our family sticks together and they are critical of family members at their peril!

    ReplyDelete