Friday, September 3, 2010

CURIOUS GEORGE, ANYONE? CONNECT 4? CANDY LAND?

When you have 12 grandchildren, it is IMPOSSIBLE to give them individual lovin' and attention one-on-one. When we have family gatherings, I realize the kids want to interact with their cousins so I give each one a hug and kiss and send them on their playful, merry way!  But if I invite Lauren, for instance, to come up alone to Grandma's, then brother Carter feels badly.  Or Reese feels slighted.  You get the picture.  Consequently, your wild 'n crazy grandma has devised a system to take care of this problemo!!!  I've instituted "Special Days" for the kids who live close to me. Last Friday was Carter's Special Day.  (Lauren, Reese, and Finley had already had theirs!)  On his day, he was the head kingpin!  Whatever he wanted to play, whatever he wanted for supper......HIS WISH WAS MY COMMAND!!!   By the time his 24-hour stint of pure, self-indulgent bliss ended, he told me, "Grandma, this has been awesome!!!"  I asked him what he liked the best (we went for an ice cream cone, he wrestled with Grandpa, he got to buy a toy at Ben Franklins, he played policeman with both of us, we played Bat Man and Bat Woman together, and all three of us watched a movie with popcorn!!!).  You want to guess his answer?

He replied, "I liked the PLAYING!!!"  Isn't it amazing that kids enter this fascinating world of make-believe, of imagination?  Grandmas, this is their world.  And if we want to connect and make lasting relationships with these kids, we must enter this world with them.  Are we willing to make those sacrifices?  Last Saturday Carter wanted me to be Bat Woman....(I would have rather sat down and read books together!!!)....but I got up off my duff and started swingin' my  power disks right along side my comrade Bat Man.  We fought the Joker for probably two hours!!!   Whew!!!  I was pooped.  By the time I drove him to his mom and dad's, I told both of them I had to concentrate to remind myself that my true identity was "Barb" the adult.

Here's some observations my 16 years of grandparenting have given me.  My kids like to communicate with me when I bend down, EYE TO EYE, and listen to them, play with them, communicate.  I am on the floor  quite a bit, or on a bed talking to them with that "eye connection."  I realize that, like myself, some of you may have physical limitations with literally getting up off the floor or even a chair.  But we can be creative and find ways to talk to our kids physically on their level.

Another observation:  can we give ourselves permission to LAUGH?  And I don't mean a brief chuckle.  I'm talking about hearty, tears-running-down-the-face, BELLY LAUGHING!  When Carter and I were actively engaged in battle with one of the Joker's cruel ploys, I flung my sword with utter abandonment, forgetting the sheath was still on it!!!  Let me tell ya.....that sheath whistled through the air a distance of probably 10 feet!!!  Carter found that excruciatingly hilarious.  Both of us fell on the floor, dying with laughter.  We laughed about that incident every time he brought it up!!!  (GUESS WHAT?  - Carter will remember that precious moment, and so will Grandma!!!) 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment