Saturday, September 4, 2010

GRANDMA!! LOOK!!! COTTON CANDY IN THE SKY!!!!

Seeing the world through the eyes of a child is like (1) looking through a kaleidoscope; (2) a still-shot photograph; or (3) a picture taken while spinning on a merry-go-round!!!  Consciously crawling inside the heads of our kids is a trip!!!  We appreciate the the beauty that awes them!!!  They take time to enjoy a tiny lady bug!  And sometimes their little body's energy exhausts us as toddlers at a park run to swings, slides, and seesaws!  They are amazed at our world, exploring, discovering!


Understanding how kids think can be quite amusing.  Last year my daughter-in-law Carey asked me to pick  up Lauren and Carter after school.  I parked my jeep in the parking lot and walked with myriads of other parents to the entrance of the elementary school,  awaiting the flood of kids emerging from the doors at 2:50 pm!  The bell blared and the frontal attack opened up with screams, darting kids with oversized backpacks, and parents dodging bullets of children running with reckless abandon!  Carter was by my side within minutes, but I strained my eyes to get sight of my Lauren girl.  No where to be seen!  I asked Carter what color clothes she was wearing.  He thought she had on a purple top and jeans.  Minutes passed; they felt like hours.  The school houses over 300 kids so locating a 2nd grader with purple was like finding Waldo in a sea of blue and red!  As the crowd thinned out, I started to be somewhat concerned.  With Carter leading the way, we walked inside the school heading toward Lauren's classroom.  No Lauren.  As we walked back toward the exit doors, I spotted the office and thought I better ask the school secretary to page her over the sound system.  Over what seemed like a 100 square mile area the system blared:  "Will Lauren Olivia  please come to the office.....LAUREN OLIVIA!!!"   Within two minutes Lauren was by my side with her little friend Sophie.  "Lauren!  Where have you been!!!"  I then realized I had become panicked!  "Grandma," Lauren looked up at me with those mellow brown eyes, "Grandma, why did you have them call me on the loud speaker????!!!!!"  I recognized her embarrassment and shame.  "Darling, Grandma didn't know where you were.....I was worried!"  She entreated, "But, Grandma, I knew where I was!!!!"  That was it!  Why in the heck was I worried when she knew where she was all the while!!!  DUHHHHHHHH!  GO FIGURE!


ODE TO LIFE
Dedicated to Harper Sophia



I'm here, but oh what a rough trip it was!
Bumping and grinding through tunnels so dark
Final expulsion was untold relief...
The brightness was blinding!  Welcome! Good grief!

I grew rather quickly; my world enlarged
Mommy and Daddy their touch recognized.
I couldn't yet see them; Daddy's cologne
lulled me to sleep as the clock ticked and groaned.


My eyes now are focused, colors I see!
The world surely is a great place to be.
I look in the face of familiar family:
Mommy, Daddy, and Finley, age three.


As I grow bigger, it's so fun to touch
my fuzzy brown teddy bear I love so much!
I hate green beans, I'm not fond of squash.
Particularly I detest being washed!

But all in all, this is a great place to be!
Life, full of wonders:  touch, feel, hear, taste, see!
Just live as a child...the beauty unveils!
Don't scream at a mouse; gotta love that cute tail!




BABY'S COAT

Smudges from pursed lips on door glass...
Dimpled hands extended, patting window...
Wandering eyes happily focus on human form.
It's Daddy outside digging black dirt
Planting red geraniums in spring chillness!
Little one crawls with determined purpose toward chair,
Her hand reaches for pink hooded coat.
As an ant drags food to the nest,
So baby pulls her frock toward finger-printed glass
With glorious expectation!



 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment