Saturday, January 8, 2011

YOUNG MOMS TALK TO ME ABOUT THEIR KIDS' GRANDPARENTS

Lately, I have been somewhat pensive and philosophical about how high my marks REALLY are in grandparenting.  I have nervously imagined hearing a knock on my door and opening it to find the disguised undercover CEO of  "Greatest Grandparents International."  Would he dump me or love me as one of his employees???? 

To research this more clearly,  I decided to survey a number of young moms about their children's grandparents.  I gave them four questions.  The answers below are summaries of all the women.  This project has helped me clarify some things I am doing well, and others that I need to work on.

Question #1:  For your children's sake, what one quality of grandparenting is most important to you?

There seemed to be a common thread running through the answer to this question.  And that common thread was love for the grandchildren, including kindness towards them.  One mom stressed her desire that grandparents enter her child's world, which assumes that the grandparent loves that particular child just as he is.  And that grandma and grandpa know the likes and dislikes of each individual personality.  Obviously, this demands consistent communication which these mothers believe is the grandparents' responsibility to intitiate.  Another mom voiced her desire for grandparents to leave a spiritual legacy with their grandchildren, passing on the positive character traits associated with the their faith. 

Another non-negotiable was TIME.  Time spent with grandchildren "covers a multitude of sins."  Actually the Bible verse in Proverbs reads " Love covers a multitude of sins."  I think you get the point.  Time spent in a child's eye proves to them that grandma and grandpa truly care about who they are as human beings.

Question #2:  What do your children enjoy most about their two grandmothers?

The answers to this question were widely varied, but most of the answers demanded time spent.  Some saw creative play and going  places, taking trips as important factors in their children's hearts and minds.  One mom stated that her seven children enjoyed one of their grandma's  crazy sense of humor, as well as her investing a sincere interest in each of their individual lives.  Another mom related the yearly event that one of their grandmas offer: CAMP CHAOS.  This camp is located in the granmother's home state of Colorado and attracts all nine grandchildren and NO PARENTS.  God bless that grandma's soul!!!! 

Another grandmother prefers to cook for the children, cooking their favorite foods for a special meal time.  Although this grandma doesn't really "do" anything with the children, her language of love is in preparing this special meal. 

Tomorrow we will look at question #3 and #4.  Right now I am planning on spending the rest of this evening with my love.....Bill, with whom I've been married 40 years, 8 months!  We shared a wonderful meal together down here in Arizona after a day of hiking in the mountains at Cave Creek.  Look forward to talking to "YA'LL" tomorrow!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this great post. I've written a book called Preparing My Heart for Grandparenting. One section is called "Love is spelled T-I-M-E." You can learn more about my book here: www.PreparingMyHeart.net. If you'd like to review it on your site, leave me a note on my blog.

    Thanks for any help you can offer to let others know about this new resource that affirms grandparents and offers tools to be the best grandarent you can be.

    Happy grandparenting,

    Lydia Harris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE reading all these blogs!!! Some make me cry, some laugh, but it is always a special way to continue to feel connected to you guys. You will ALWAYS be considered my 2nd mother and am so thankful for you guy and the encouragement you are to my parents. Dad always looks forward to Bill's call on Sunday nights!!! We need to plan an Cortner/Clark reunion in Arizona in the next couple years!!!! Miss you all!!!
    Love you
    Angela (Anninin)

    ReplyDelete