Monday, June 13, 2011

CAMP GRANDMA 2: DETAILED PLANS AND GOALS!!!

Countdown until CAMP GRANDMA 2:  THREE DAYS AND FRENETIC PLANNING ON SCHEDULE!!!

I figured other grandmas might enjoy my sharing the plans for Camp Grandma 2.  This camp will differ from Camp Grandma 1 simply because Lauren and Carter are two plus years older.  Lauren is 9 and Carter is 7, so I've customized our camping plans to suit their ages and personalities.

The camp will run all day Friday and all day Saturday.  Just so you are not assuming this will be a boring, lichen-filled two- day lecture, I will intertwine the typically inane, silly interactions with the now infamous wild 'n crazy grandma!   (Sunday is reserved for the collapse of the wild 'n crazy grandma.)   

Following are the preparations I've made in the last week or so. 

1.  Friday we will be visiting Spring Brook State Park.  Goals
     for the day:  picnic lunch, leisure hiking, and awareness
     of birds, insects, trees.  I've tried to study what animals
     we might see, in addition to the types of trees we will view
     in the park.  Saturday we will leave for the Ledges State
     Park.  This will center on the study of "lichen" of which
     this park is famous.  So I've printed off the maps of the
     parks so I don't waste time trying to locate different areas.




2.  Camp Grandma campers obviously have to don the
     regalia.  The shirts have arrived!!!  In addition, the campers
     MUST be protected from the sun!  The camouflaged hats
     will do that, in addition to the sun screen!!





3.  To make learning more fun, I've purchased cool
      magnifying glasses for each of them.  I thought Carter
      would like the snake, and Lauren would prefer the big girl
      one!  When we hike at the Ledges, they will be able to
      really check out the lichen!!!  The binoculars will
      be useful for bird watching!




4.  The butterfly catchers were "the purchase of the day!"  I
     found them at Ben Franklin's in the dollar aisle!  The wild
     'n crazy grandma always likes a bargain!  I know,
     butterflies aren't out until at least mid-summer.  Hey, there
     are flying bugs right now!  And they can use these as
     walking sticks when not swooshing for insects!



I think I'm fairly well prepared.  Now I just have to save up the energy to keep up with my precious campers.  I also plan on a trip to the library to check out "camp" CDs.  Haley Mills "Parent Trap" video or DVD might need to be checked out as well!  (I prefer that one over Lindsay Lohan's.)

Hey, did you know that Ledges State Park is home to the rare bird, the "pileated woodpecker"?  Maybe Lauren, Carter, and the wild 'n crazy grandma will see one of these Saturday!



God bless ya all till we post again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment